Thursday, April 16, 2009

While smearing Olay Total Effects on your face



I realise that I am slowly receding into the past with my music of choice. And yes, I also realise that any reader who was actually alive in the 60’s and 70’s (my mother included) would harrumph at me: “You weren’t there Jo; you have no idea what the time was like”. Well sue me for appreciating the somewhat distilled moments of other generations. Thanks to MY generation, I can Google, YouTube and iTunes the shit out of the Baby Boomers and choose whatever tickles my fancy. Furthermore, with Leonard Cohen’s recent tour hitting Brisbane, The Who having just left Australia and Simon and Garfunkel on their way; who could blame me for wanting to retreat into the past with Bob Dylan.

And while we’re in the 40-50 year old bracket, I decided to spin my iTunes to Dylan while applying anti-ageing cream to my face. Olay Total Effects, to fight the seven signs of ageing. I’m only 20, and have since realised that intense anti-ageing cream actually burns your face if you don’t need it. However, my logic seemed mentally sound at the time; the earlier I start with the creams, the longer I stay looking young. So yes, in hindsight, I was very wrong.

But I don’t think I am wrong in feeling I have the right to appreciate the artists of my parent’s generation. And I am not the only one. 10 albums under the Bob Dylan trademark have been released since 2000. The most recent, Together through Life
, was released this year. 52 Bob Dylan albums have been released since his first self titled album debut in 1962. My particular playlist are the tracks from 1995’s MTV Unplugged, which includes All Along the Watchtower and The Times They Are A-Changin’.

I think there might be a market out there for Bob Dylan's music.

And really, this is not a dig at current popular music. I am just as happy to listen to anything on the radio, as long as it’s not shit. I do however find there is a definite magic about the music of the last 60’s and 70’s. This magic is helped by the images of Woodstock and the glorified stories of my parents singing songs of protest in marches, with the subtle insinuations that they were completely stoned at the time. They make it all seem a lot more important than any grasp we have on our own lives today.

In fact, I blame my parents for my love of nostalgia. Even though I never experienced flesh and blood moments pre1989, the music makes me all fuzzy inside and I have this intense urge to be apart of that time in history. Oh yeah, and I really like them as well.

See Mum, it’s your fault! But you can have your Olay back it was crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment