Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Music for the uncomplicated smile in all of us


A scathing review is a lot easier to write then a review which is full of admiration. There seems to be a lot more passion invoked by disparagement as opposed to praise. Yet to my angst there is little criticism I can serve on Okkervil River. I am a fan of the band, man. So with the risk of sounding weak or worse, indifferent, I’ll aim to shoot at Okkervil River straight and true.

I love Okkervil River for their beautifully crafted simplicity. This love was further imbedded in me when their latest album, The Stand Ins, led Okkervil on a tour which hit Brisbane’s The Zoo last Sunday. It need not be mentioned that I was there to see it. And it’s been some time since I’ve watched a gig and been totally overwhelmed with happiness to be there.

Against better judgment I am going to say that the seven piece band have a sound of their own. I would prefer not to say this for several reasons. The first being that as a music critic, to say one band has an individual sound is a very big call. Secondly, the indie-folk sound of Okkervil is not revolutionary in any form. They have been labeled alongside Wilco and Arcade Fire but I disagree. The Decemberists would be the closest musical outfit I would compare with Okkervil River.

No, Okkervil River is not progressively different like Bjork or strange like Ween. They are a self anointed ‘multilevel band’, storytelling with the aid of trumpets, keys, and all kinds of guitars. While Okkervil’s third album, Black Sheep Boy, has a darker rock base, The Stage Names and The Stand Ins have a more upbeat sound which appears simple and happy, even if the lyrics are pushing for complexity in their unvarying satire. This buoyant nature of Okkervil River has identified with somewhere deep within me so I get tremendous enjoyment out of listening to their sound.

Aesthetically this is one geeky band, but they have a fantastic liveliness which made the hour and a half set on Sunday night feel like 20 minutes. Seth Warren was striking, pounding every bit of energy into the drums from the first note played. Front man and primary songwriter Will Sheff did not tire once of lyrically heavy songs such as Singer Songwriter and Lost Coastlines (see Youtube video below).

It was on Sunday night that I discovered Okkervil’s audience is broad. I thought I was one of few who found Okkervil so completely infectious, just because none of my friends know who they are. I was mistaken, with the sold out audience including jiving 50 year old women as well as those lovable little indie kids. The entire audience had a smile like a child’s on Christmas morning.

So it seems that with five albums to their name, Okkervil River is gaining the followers to match their critical success. Well, the critical success they achieved in this blog, anyway. If it’s any compensation to those of you who were after blood, my next blog will be dedicated to Kate Miller Heidke. Just let me at her.


6 comments:

  1. Okkervil River are awesome.
    I agree that they don't have an induvidual sound. They even rference other songs in their songs. But that's part of what makes them great.
    I hope they tour here in 2010. I want to see them live so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okkervil River is really indie-folk, something I didn't mention in my post :). I think they have fantastic social commentary in their lyrics and have such a lovely and honest way of perceiving their lives as musicians.

    I'd recommend that you see them at your first opportunity! Best $45 I have spent in recent times! Cheers for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaunt, bearded men are definitely in vogue at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. something so sexy about that deer-in-headlights look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a nice show. But wasn't there six members?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are six members on the Stand Ins tour. Brian Cassidy, lead guitarist and composer on the Stage Names (2007) isn't touring. He is, however, seen as a member of Okkervil River.

    I should have mentioned there was one member missing on the tour, thanks for keeping me in check! :)

    He is quite the over-achiever actually, you can find out more about him on http://www.briancassidymusic.com/bio.htm.

    ReplyDelete